Chairman of the Board Bill Gwyn spoke about allowable differential settlement in both low and high rise buildings on 13 March at ASCE's New Orleans Branch March Luncheon at Heritage Grill. His talk covered settlement in well-known New Orleans buildings such as the New Orleans Custom House, Charity Hospital, One Shell Square, and Harrah's Hotel.
Bill covered construction techniques that minimize differential settlement such as using piles of the same length and arranging piles in small groups.
Over the years, Bill has provided geotechnical engineering services for many multi-story projects. Some of these projects include:
- Xavier University, Proposed Pharmaceutical School, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Aquarium of the Americas and Riverfront Park, New Orleans, Louisiana
- University Medical Center and Parking Structure, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Ochsner Medical Institutions, Critical Care Tower and ASCU Building, Jefferson Parish, Louisiana
- Harrah's Hotel, New Orleans, Louisiana
Eustis Engineering has been a geotechnical consultant for 23 of the 25 tallest buildings in the City of New Orleans.