Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The primary role of the Project Geologist is to assist the engineering staff with geologic classification and interpretation for specific projects. As such, the primary duties will be to perform geologic related services. There are also other activities that our Project Geologist may perform to support our projects. A summary of such activities follows.
- Assists engineers with the performance of settlement and stability analyses on an as needed basis.
- Assists with MicroStation as needed.
- Conducts desktop and field investigations to assess geologic conditions.
- Develops and maintains GIS and geologic mapping resources.
- Directs and participates in sample preparation.
- Evaluates material resources.
- Identifies, maps, and evaluates potential geological/geomorphological conditions or hazards.
- Maintains equipment calibration records.
- Obtains, processes, correlates, evaluates, and plots field instrumentation data.
- Operates and maintains the cone penetrometer rig fleet.
- Performs in situ testing; and site reconnaissance to set and/or modify boring or CPT locations.
- Plots and evaluates field test results.
- Prepares daily reports of field activities; logs of completed wells; and proposals for various projects.
- Reduces and correlates soil test data.
- Reviews and develops geologic and engineering profiles; hydrologic data; and drilling and sampling procedures.
- Selects the number, depths, and locations of soil borings and/or cone penetration tests when requested for specific projects.
- Trains and directs soil technicians and engineering technicians.
- Utilizes and evaluates remote sensing techniques (imagery, LIDAR, drones, etc.) as needed to assess site conditions.
- Works as a soil technician in the field on an as needed basis to classify soils.
Requirements and Preferences
- Bachelor or Master of Science degree in Geology or related field.
- Minimum of two years of geological experience (four years preferred).
- Geologist-in-Training (GIT) certification but Prefer Professional Geologist (P.G.) or Geoscientist license (TX, LA, MS).
- Experience in the Geotechnical/CMT field.
Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.