Eustis Engineering has been a leading geotechnical firm in southeastern Louisiana for more than 70 years.
We are seeking an experienced Soil Technician to join our New Orleans area office. The candidate should have a minimum of a high school diploma or GED. Some college studies are a plus. The candidate should have at least two years of experience working in the areas of geotechnology, geology, soils, hydrogeology, and/or construction materials. Assignments are primarily in the States of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas. Assignments may require overtime, weekend, and out-of-town work. The Soil Technician must have an appropriate motor vehicle operator's license for employment. The candidate seeking this position must be willing to be exposed to all weather conditions of the Gulf South.
The Soil Technician will work under the direct supervision of the Drilling Supervisor as well as the Operations Manager. The Soil Technician will:
- make field inspection of project facilities;
- recommend setting and/or modifying boring locations if needed;
- advise the project engineer of problems or issues in the field based on field observations and conditions;
- supervise the technical aspects of drilling and sampling procedures to assure performance is within acceptable guidelines and procedures;
- direct and participate in undisturbed sampling procedures and sample preparation;
- classify soil samples according to the Unified Soil Classification System;
- be responsible for collection of data including the driller's logs;
- prepare field logs of investigations which will include all drilling and sampling data, soil classifications and descriptions, rock descriptions, and hydrogeologic data;
- perform field tests such as hand penetrometer or Torvane shear;
- prepare the daily administrative summary report of field activities; and
- be responsible for application of the general safety requirements and other contractual safety requirements of the work being performed.
As an employee of Eustis Engineering, the Soil Technician will be included in random screenings as part of our alcohol and drug abuse testing program. An annual physical for medical monitoring may also be required. A pre-employment drug and alcohol screening and background check are required.